Collision Position Statement
Position Statement: Seat Belt Replacement Considerations
To: Collision Repair Industry
Seat belts have been, and continue to be critical to the safety of our customers. We ask the general collision repair industry to adhere to the following guidelines when considering seat belt replacement on an INFINITI vehicle following a collision:
Inspect ALL seat belt assemblies, including retractors and buckles after a collision. INFINITI recommends that all seat belt assemblies in use during a collision be replaced, unless the collision was minor and the belts show no damage and continue to operate properly. Failure to do so could result in serious personal injury in an accident. Seat belt assemblies not in use during a collision should also be replaced if either damage or improper operation is noted. Seat belt pre-tensioners should be replaced even if the seat belts were not in use during a collision in which the frontal air bags are deployed. Replace any seat belt assembly (including anchor bolts) if:
- The seat belt was in use at the time of a collision (except for minor collisions and the belts, retractors, and buckles show no damage and continue to operate properly).
- The seat belt was damaged in an accident (i.e. torn webbing, bent retractor or guide, etc.).
- The seat belt attaching point is damaged in an accident. Inspect the seat belt attaching area for damage or distortion and repair if necessary before installing a new seat belt assembly.
- Anchor bolts are deformed or worn out.
- The seat belt pre-tensioner should be replaced even if the seat belts are not in use during a collision in which the frontal air bags are deployed.
Reference service manual section “SB” for additional information.
INFINITI Americas New Vehicle Limited Warranty and Limited Warranty on replacement parts does not apply to any parts other than Genuine INFINITI replacement parts.
For additional collision repair information: http://www.oemrepairinfo.ca/.